Images are very important when it comes to online content. Just think about all of the changes that some of the largest social networks have made in the past few years:
- Pinterest, a social network with an emphasis on images, became the fastest growing social network of all time.
- In late 2011 Facebook released its “Timeline,” which helped lift its brand page engagement by 46 percent, and bought Instagram, a social network dedicated completely to the sharing of images, for an astounding $1 billion.
There is no question that images are important for content creators — and this is especially the case for blogs.
- Images can provide additional sources of traffic. If properly tagged and optimized, images can bring additional visitors to your site that would likely not being visiting otherwise.
- In addition to providing an additional source of traffic, if you use the alt tag to your advantage, an image can also act as an additional layer of SEO.
- An image can help explain something technical or data heavy by using charts, graphs or diagrams, or it can help make a “How To” post a lot more easier to understand by using screenshots. Articles with images get 94% more views. That alone should be enough of a reason for you to include images on your blog — every blogger loves traffic. Especially a 94% increase.